Loaded with real apples and delicious cinnamon, you can enjoy this AIP apple cake without feeling like you are missing out on showstopper desserts.
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) hot water
- 2 Tablespoons (12 g) gelatin
- 2 small green apples (11 oz or 300 g), peeled and cored
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 ½ teaspoons (5 g) cinnamon powder, divided
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract (alcohol-free)
- 1/4 cup (60 g) coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 cup (120 g) tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup (60 g) cassava flour
- 1/2 cup (48 g) tigernut flour
- 1 teaspoon (4 g) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 g) ground cloves
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon (8 g) powdered sugar, for dusting (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). Grease and line an 8-inch (20 cm) springform pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- To make the gelatin eggs, place the hot water in a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin powder over the entire surface of the water and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes. Then, whisk to combine the gelatin with the hot water until completely incorporated. Set aside until ready to use.
- Grate 1 apple into a small bowl. Slice the remaining 1 apple and toss with the lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) of cinnamon powder in a separate small bowl. Set aside both until ready to use.
- Whisk to combine the melted coconut oil, unsweetened applesauce, vanilla extract and optional coconut sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the gelatin eggs to the bowl and whisk until completely incorporated.
- Add the tapioca flour, coconut flour, tigernut flour, baking soda, salt, ground cloves and the remaining 2 Tablespoons (4 g) of cinnamon powder to the bowl and stir to create a smooth batter.
- Use a silicone spatula to fold in the grated apple and coconut milk into the batter until evenly incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan. Place the sliced apples on top of the batter in a circular pattern and gently press into the batter.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 50 to 60 minutes until cooked through and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (If the cake starts to brown too quickly, lightly cover the pan with aluminum foil and continue to bake until the cake is cooked through.)
- Remove the pan from the oven and let cool until the springform pan is cool enough to touch. Remove the apple cake from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- If desired, lightly dust the apple cake with the optional powdered sugar before serving.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 260
- Sugar: 8 g
- Fat: 16 g
- Carbohydrates: 32 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 2 g