AIP Avocado Salad Recipe
Salads can get boring for even the most veg-loving herbivores, but the food restrictions on AIP take things to a whole other level. This lettuce-free AIP avocado salad recipe is a fresh new take on lunch.
An Ingredient That Can’t Be Beet
See what I did there? Most people love avocado, and I’ll bet you do too if you’re diving into this recipe.
But there’s another underrated ingredient that’s worthy of your attention, especially if you’re following autoimmune protocol.
I included beets in this salad as a colorful counterpart to the avocado. In addition to presenting a pleasing picture, beets contain different nutrients so you’ll benefit from the overall well-roundedness of your plate.
Beets get their rich red color from a pigment known as betalain. They also give you some of nature’s necessities, like folate, manganese, vitamin C, iron, and potassium.
Athletes have been known to drink beet juice to enhance performance. If it works for the pros, imagine what it could do for average folks!
The Main Event: Avocado
There are a couple of things you can do to make sure this AIP avocado salad is in prime condition.
First, pick a ripe avocado. The right candidate should be dark green and should yield to pressure without being squishy or soft.
Indentations could be a sign of bruising; avoid avocados that have significant bumps.
At home, you’ll need to peel the avocado. I like to cut mine in wedges before pulling the peel away.
Squeeze a bit of lemon juice over the sliced avocado to keep it from turning brown (not a good look).
Add the other ingredients, and your salad should be perfection!
The Authority on AIP
Starting any diet can be overwhelming, but autoimmune protocol takes things to a whole new level.
While you have to be more careful than many other diets, it can have a profound impact on your health.
Take a detailed look at what AIP entails and the conditions it may help in this free guide. You’ll learn what not to eat, find answers to common questions, and discover more great recipes like this avocado salad.
A simple salad of creamy avocado, earthy beets, and pickled red onions.
- 1/4 red onion (28 g), thinly sliced
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of red wine vinegar
- 1 large avocado (200 g), peeled and sliced
- squeeze lemon juice
- 1 small cooked, pickled beetroot (82 g), sliced
- 1 small carrot (50 g), peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- olive oil, to drizzle
- chopped chives, to garnish
- Place the red onions and red wine vinegar in a small bowl and leave to pickle while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Season the diced avocado with salt and squeeze the lemon juice over top.
- Divide the avocado, beets, and carrots onto two plates and drizzle each with a little olive oil. Divide the pickled red onions between the two salads and drizzle over any remaining vinegar. Garnish with chives and serve.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 200
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 3 g