AIP Ground Beef Breakfast Casserole
I love breakfast casseroles because they are so easy to make. Unlike pancakes, or waffles, or fried eggs, a breakfast casserole won’t have you standing in the kitchen for hours cooking no matter how many people are sitting at the table. But just because casseroles are easy, doesn’t mean they are bland. Just look at this AIP ground beef breakfast casserole! One casserole will easily feed 8 people and it’s chock full of flavor forward ingredients. The ground beef is the backbone of this breakfast dish, highlighted by the spinach and the peaches (or apples, just go for what’s in season) and finished off with a creamy cauliflower coconut sauce, spiked with tart lemon. All and all, it’s great breakfast that hits all the notes you want without any dairy or nightshades.
From Classic Breakfast Casserole to AIP Breakfast Casserole
This is a tasty breakfast casserole, but it certainly isn’t a classic one. Read on to find out how we replaced some of the typical ingredients with AIP-friendly alternatives.
- Eggs – Eggs are out on AIP but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a breakfast casserole. The beef and veggies add bulk, while the cauliflower sauce binds everything together.
- Milk and Cheese – Milk is easily substituted for coconut cream, cheese isn’t directly replaced but flavor comes from the seasoning and richness from the beef and the coconut cream.
- Tomatoes – You don’t need nightshades in your casserole. Instead of tomatoes, peaches and lemon juice cut through the creamy sauce.
More AIP-Friendly Vegetables You Can Add (Or Substitute)
The vegetables may take a supporting role in this casserole but that doesn’t mean they aren’t important. Without the vegetables, the beef and creamy sauce would be far too heavy for the morning.
Don’t feel like you need to be married to the spinach or even the peaches. Play around with different veggies and fruits to figure out what works best for you and your family. Here are some vegetable suggestions. Mix and match as you wish.
- Mustard Greens
- Green Onions
AIP Casserole Recipes to Serve for Every Meal
Love the easy prep and cook process of a casserole? You are in luck because we have tons of AIP-friendly casserole recipes from makeovers of the classics to innovated pairings you’ve never thought of before. Read on for a preview of just a few of the recipes available.
This casserole is packed full of feel-good ingredients that taste great too.
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of avocado oil, to grease baking dish
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) of avocado oil, to cook the ground beef and onions with
- 1.5 lbs (750 g) ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup (240 ml) of coconut cream (from the tops of 2 refrigerated cans of coconut milk)
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- 2 peaches (or apples), diced small
- 4 cups of spinach, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F (200 C).
- Grease a large casserole baking dish with the 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and set aside.
- Add the 3 tablespoons of avocado oil to a large frying pan and brown the beef and onions. Season with salt, to taste.
- In a blender, blend the cauliflower florets with the coconut cream.
- Mix the beef, onions, and the rest of the ingredients together in a large bowl. Season with some salt. Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 379
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 31 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 16 g