Our AIP-friendly bolognese sauce is so good you won’t even miss tomatoes.
For the sauce
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of olive oil
- 1 carrot (50 g), peeled and grated
- 2 beets (164 g), peeled and chopped small
- 1/2 Tablespoon (8 ml) of red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of honey
- Salt, to taste
For the bolognese and zucchini “noodles”
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil
- 1 medium onion (110 g), peeled and chopped small
- 2 cloves of garlic (6 g), peeled and minced
- 14 oz (400 g) of ground beef
- 1 cup (240 ml) of beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon (1/4 g) of dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
- 3 zucchinis (360 g), spiralized or use a vegetable peeler to create noodle-like strands
- Chopped fresh parsley, to serve
- To make the sauce, heat 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of olive oil in a pan. Add the carrots and beetroot to the pan and cook over medium heat until slightly caramelised and softened. Add 1 cup (240 ml) of water and bring to a simmer, covered, over very low heat for 1 hour until the vegetables are completely softened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar and honey. Allow to cool, then puree until smooth sauce in a food processor or blender. Season with salt, to taste, and set aside.
- To make the bolognese, heat 2 Tablespoons (10 ml) of olive oil in a large pan and add the onion and garlic. Cook over medium heat until softened. Add the ground beef and increase the heat, cooking the beef until no longer pink. Add the reserved beet-and-carrot sauce, beef broth and dried oregano. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, partially covered with a lid, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Once all the liquid has cooked down, remove the pan from the heat and season with salt, to taste.
- To make the zucchini “noodles,” place a dash of water into a large pan over high heat. Add the “noodles” and cook until all the moisture in the pan has evaporated and the zucchini have cooked through, about 1 or 2 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.
- Serve the bolognese sauce over the cooked zucchini “noodles” and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 744
- Sugar: 14 g
- Fat: 54 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 37 g