AIP Chicken Coleslaw Recipe
Coleslaw, it’s not a family get together without a bowl. My aunt makes it with greek yogurt, my dad makes it with mayo. But no matter who brings it, there always seems to be a full bowl at the end of the day. What if coleslaw could be better? Enter AIP chicken coleslaw. This is not your grandma’s coleslaw (or my dad’s). There’s no mayo here. Instead, it’s replaced with a tangy coconut cream and lime dressing. The cabbage and carrots remain, but unburdened by a heavy dressing, their crisp flavor is able to take center stage. And of course, there’s the chicken. It’s tender and juicy, the perfect addition to this light salad. So break up the midweek lunch boredom or surprise your family at the next gathering. No matter how you serve this dish, you’ll be asking yourself why you didn’t put chicken on coleslaw earlier!
What is the Difference Between White Cabbage and Red Cabbage?
Did you know that red and white cabbage don’t only look different? They also taste different and even have different amounts of nutrients!
White cabbage has a crisp delicate flavor when raw. It has a light peppery aftertaste that pairs well with the creamy dressing. Red cabbage tastes similar but a little bit stronger and earthier.
White cabbage is packed with vitamin K. A single serving contains about 85% of your daily recommended intake! White cabbage also contains a little less than half your daily recommended vitamin C .
Red cabbage on the other hand is packed with vitamin C and also has about 40% of your daily recommended vitamin K and 20% vitamin A .
Flavorful Additions to Your Coleslaw
When you are starting out, it can be hard to find seasonings that are allowed on AIP. Here are a few additions to add spice and seasoning to your salad without seeds or nightshades.
More AIP-Friendly Chicken Salad Recipes
Salad with chicken is a tried and true midweek lunch combo. Don’t be afraid to mix up your lunch routine because we have options! So go beyond the same old romaine and grilled chicken pairing with these flavorful AIP salads.
Or check out all of our AIP salad recipes here. You’ll never be bored with lunch again!
This is not your traditional lunch – or coleslaw!
- 2 chicken breasts (400 g)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil
- 1/4 cup (35g) of white cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/4 cup (35g) of red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/8 cup (30g) of carrots, finely sliced into matchsticks
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of coconut cream
- generous squeeze of fresh lime juice
- cilantro, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C).
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and season with salt. Heat the olive oil in a pan and grill the chicken on both sides until golden. Transfer the chicken onto a baking tray and cook for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the cabbage and carrots in a bowl.
- Mix the coconut cream with a generous squeeze of lime juice. Pour the mixture into the bowl of cabbage and mix well to evenly coat. Season the mixture with salt.
- Dice the cooked chicken and add to the coleslaw. Garnish with parsley and serve.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 489
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 30 g
- Carbohydrates: 3 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 48 g