AIP Chicken and Tarragon Breakfast Sausages Recipe
Tarragon is probably the most underappreciated of the herbs. The flavor is strong and unique and can change the direction of a dish entirely. The anise-like taste can add depth to all sorts of ingredients and works specifically well with the subtlety of chicken. This blend has inspired us to make a simple meal that can work with any diet, even one as strict as the AIP diet.
When it came to simplicity breakfast seemed like an ideal option. And, what could be better for an AIP breakfast than sausage. Putting together this AIP chicken and tarragon breakfast sausage is as easy to make as it is enjoyable.
Enjoy the Simplicity of Cooking
There is something to be said for simplicity. This recipe requires just a few simple ingredients, which means that all of the flavors can shine through without being muddled together. You may be surprised by how delicious something so easy can be.
The other great part about a simple recipe such as this is it can be easy and even fun to put together. Just a bit of light mixing, forming, and an easy pan-fry and suddenly you have a great sausage that is perfect for any part of the day.
Fun Facts About Tarragon
- Tarragon is a beautiful plant that is actually part of the daisy family.
- It can also be referred to as “dragon wort” because of its intense flavors and its snake-like root system.
- Tarragon was once used in the treatment of scurvy because of its high vitamin C content.
- Eugenol is obtained from tarragon. It is widely used as an antiseptic and anesthetic in dentistry.
- Tarragon is an essential ingredient in Dijon mustard.
Other Ingredients You Can Try in This Recipe
As wonderful as tarragon is, we know that the flavor is not for everyone. So, instead of putting this easy recipe aside, why not try some of these AIP-friendly alternatives:
- Lemon salt
This simplified recipe is full of flavor thanks to the wonderful combination of chicken and tarragon.
- 1 lb ground chicken (450 g)
- 1 teaspoon salt (5 g)
- 2 Tablespoons tarragon (6 g), finely chopped (or other herbs, of choice)
- 4 Tablespoons of coconut oil (60 ml), to cook with
- Combine the ground chicken, salt, and finely chopped tarragon in a bowl. With clean hands, divide the mixture into 8 equal amounts and shape each portion into a firm, flat sausage patty.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and gently fry the sausages over a medium heat on all sides for 10-15 minutes. Check with a meat thermometer that the internal temperature reaches 165 F (74 C).
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Serving Size: 2 patties
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 23 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 19 g