AIP Crispy Chicken Drumsticks
One of the most challenging parts about starting the AIP diet can be learning how to cook all over again. I was surprised when I recently saw a poll that said 1 in 5 millennials don’t even know how to use a can opener properly. So, I am sure there are plenty of people on the AIP diet that are learning to cook for the first time.
Cooking can be one of the simple pleasures of life. It can be relaxing, fun, and you get to enjoy the instant satisfaction of enjoying your work. The more you know, the better. That is why we think it is a good idea to start with something as simple as these AIP crispy chicken drumsticks.
Developing That Perfect Crispy Skin
Learning how to get the perfect crust on a chicken drumstick sounds simple enough, but there are some critical factors that can ruin the dish entirely. The last thing you want is to burn or undercook the chicken.
The most important factor is heat. If you want a good crust, the heat has to be high. Preheating is essential if the skin starts to cook before the oven is at the desired temperature you will not get the results that you want. It is also necessary to coat the chicken thoroughly in oil. That oil is what helps to develop the crispiness you desire.
Try Some New Flavors
Once you have learned how to cook your chicken perfectly, you can begin to play around. The recipe below is straightforward, there are lots of places that you can take the dish. Try these AIP friendly ingredients in your next batch of crispy drumsticks:
- Dried garlic powder
- Liquid smoke
- Lemon salt
An easy to follow recipe for perfect crispy drumsticks.
- 12 chicken drumsticks (with the skin on)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) of olive oil or avocado oil
- 4 Tablespoons rosemary leaves, chopped (or use other herbs)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 g) sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 450 F (230 C). You need it hot to make the chicken skin crispy.
- In a small bowl, combine the oil, salt, and the chopped herbs.
- Rub the mixture over the chicken drumsticks. Place the drumsticks on top of a greased baking tray.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the skin is crispy.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 473
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 32 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 42 g