Deliciously shredded beef slow-cooked to perfection.
- 18 oz (504 g) of beef roast, off the bone
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion (55 g), peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves (6 g), peeled and minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece ginger (5 g), peeled and minced
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of red wine vinegar
- 2 cups (480 ml) of beef broth, hot
- 1/2 cup Beet and Carrot Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) of honey
- 4 portions cauliflower rice, to serve
parsley, to garnish
- Halve the beef roast along the grain (having two pieces will ensure the beef is fully submerged in the broth in the crockpot. This is optional but recommended.).
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large pan and cook the beef until dark and golden on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the second tablespoon of olive oil in the same pan and cook the onions, garlic, and ginger until the onions have completely softened and caramelized.
- Deglaze the pan with the red wine vinegar. Once the vinegar has cooked out, pour in the beef stock to warm through for a minute.
- Tip the entire mixture into a crock pot and add the browned beef piece(s). Cover with the lid and cook for 3 hours on high.
- After 3 hours, remove the beef and set aside, covered with foil to rest.
- Transfer the sauce and onion mixture from the crock pot to a clean pan. Put the pan on the stove top and add the Beet and Carrot Sauce, coconut aminos, and honey. Reduce the mixture over moderately high heat to 1/3 of the original yield, stirring occasionally.
- In the meantime, after the beef has rested for at least 10 minutes, use two forks to shred into thinner strips.
- Add the pulled beef to the warm, reduced sauce and stir well to combine. Serve the shredded beef over cooked cauliflower rice and garnish with parsley.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 487
- Sugar: 9 g
- Fat: 38 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 22 g