Golden, spicy classic gingerbread cookies made with all AIP ingredients.
- 1 cup (120 g) cassava flour (plus additional for dusting)
- 1/2 cup (56 g) coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon (2 g) ginger powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (1 g) ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon (3 g) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) baking soda
- 1 gelatin egg* (see notes)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons (45 ml) unsulfured blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 Tablespoons (30 to 60 ml) unsweetened coconut milk
For the icing (optional):
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) coconut butter, melted and cooled
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C). Line two cookie sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the cassava flour, coconut flour, ginger powder, ground cloves, salt, and baking soda.
- Add the gelatin egg, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, blackstrap molasses, and vanilla extract to the bowl and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Add 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of coconut milk to the bowl and combine until the mixture forms a dry dough that can be pressed into a ball. If needed, add the remaining coconut milk, as needed, until the dough can be formed into a ball.
- Lightly dust your work surface with cassava flour. Place the dough on the work surface and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 1/2-inch (1.25 cm) thickness. (This dough is tricky to work with and it crumbles, but it presses back together really easily. A mixture of rolling and pressing flat with your hands works well to flatten the dough.)
- Use cookie cutters to cut the dough into desired shapes and carefully place on the prepared cookie sheets about 1-inch (2.5 cm) apart. (Place all smaller cookies on one sheet and bigger ones on another as the smaller cookies take 2 to 3 fewer minutes to cook than the larger cookies).
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes until the cookies are golden.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven and let cool for 2 to 3 minutes before carefully transferring the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If desired, prepare the optional icing by whisking the melted coconut butter, melted coconut oil, and maple syrup until completely combined. Pipe or drizzle the icing on the cooled cookies to decorate before serving.
For the gelatin egg: In a small bowl, mix 1 Tablespoon (6 g) of gelatin with 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of lukewarm water and let sit for 1 minute. Add 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) of hot water and whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes before using.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
Net Carbs per serving: 8 g
- Serving Size: 1 small cookie
- Calories: 111
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g