For the beet and carrot sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 medium beetroots, peeled and finely diced
- 1/2 Tablespoon (7 ml) vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) honey
- Small handful fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon (1 g) dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
For the Greek-style meatball:
- 1 lb (450 g) ground lamb or beef
- 4 teaspoons (4 g) dried oregano
- Large handful fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil, to fry the meatballs with
To make the beetroot carrot sauce:
- Add the tablespoon of olive oil to a large frying pan and fry the diced carrots and beetroot, cooking over medium heat until slightly caramelized and softened. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a simmer, covered, over very low heat for 1 hour.
- When the vegetables are completely softened, remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar and honey. Adjust the seasoning with salt, if needed and stir in the herbs.
- Allow to the sauce to cool, then place in a food processor or blender or use an immersion blender to blend everything to a smooth sauce. Then return the sauce to a clean pan and gently reheat.
To make the meatballs:
- Combine the ground meat with the herbs and garlic. Season the mixture with salt. Form the mixture into small meatballs. Set aside in the fridge until the sauce is finished.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and cook the meatballs (in batches) until they’re browned. Then add the meatballs to the sauce and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with cauliflower rice and garnish with any leftover mint leaves.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 459
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 39 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 20 g