This savory fish bone broth helps heal your gut.
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil
- 1 medium onion (110 g), peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot (50 g), peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery (40 g), chopped
- 1 leek (90 g), chopped
- 10 white button mushrooms (100 g), sliced
- 35oz (approx. 1 kg or 2 lbs) of fish bones and fish off-cuts
- 4 cups (960 ml) of cold water
- chopped parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan or stockpot. Add the onions, carrots, celery, leek, and mushrooms. Cook over moderate heat. Do not allow the vegetables to caramelize or burn.
- Once the onions and carrots have softened, add the fish bones and pour in the cold water.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover partially with a lid and cook over low-moderate heat for 1 hour.
- Strain the broth through a fine-mesh sieve (or double layer muslin/cheesecloth) and season with salt.
- Use in recipes or serve warm with a garnish of parsley.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 66
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 8 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 1 g