AIP Lemon Thyme Chicken Recipe
The thyme in this AIP lemon thyme chicken recipe makes the dish pop. While a simple salad will work on the side, I’ve got some fancier ideas in mind.
Time for Thyme
This herb really makes this dish much more flavorful. If you’re not a frequent user, it has a mild minty flavor and dry aroma.
It is sold fresh and dried. Fresh thyme needs to be used quickly – in about a week or so. Dried thyme is more forgiving, allowing you to store it for as long as a year once opened.
Thyme has a lot of good things going for it in addition to spicing up your autoimmune diet recipes. It’s full of healthy nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin A, iron, manganese, and fiber.
What to Serve with Lemon and Thyme Chicken
This dish is so lovely that you want a side that will complement, rather than overtake the main attraction.
This AIP Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Leeks Recipe is a nice light option, although you might want to make it ahead, as it takes a bit longer than the chicken.
For a faster side dish, try this Creamy AIP Cucumber Salad. You’re only five minutes from delicious!
Or, if you’re craving carbs, make this AIP Bread Rolls Recipe. They’re great for satisfying your bread lust without messing with your autoimmune diet.
- 4 Tablespoons (60 ml) olive oil
- 4 chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks)
- Handful thyme sprigs, plus extra for garnish
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice + 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Place the olive oil and chicken pieces into a large bowl. Add the thyme sprigs (run your fingers along the stalks to remove the leaves) and the lemon juice, zest, and salt. Use clean hands to mix everything well, massaging the flavors into the chicken.
- Place a pan over high heat and when hot, place the chicken pieces into the hot pan skin-side down. Cook until the skin is crispy, then use tongs to turn the chicken over, cooking the underside for 1 more minute. Remove the pan from the heat and add the garlic and lemon slices to the pan, coating everything in the rendered fat and juice.
- Place everything (chicken skin-side up) into an oven-proof dish and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken has cooked through.
- Serve garnished with a scattering of fresh thyme leaves and serve with any side dishes of your choice and season with more salt, if needed.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 519
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 42 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 32 g