AIP Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Leeks Recipe
Sweet, savory and so good for you, this AIP roasted sweet potato and leeks recipe is definitely one to try.
Leeks vs Onions
Common in Europe, leeks aren’t exactly a staple in America. If you’re not familiar, leeks are very similar to onions – in fact, if you’d like you can use an onion for this recipe.
They do have some differences, however. Leeks are a little milder than onions. If you or a family member is put off by onions, you might be able to tolerate the taste of leeks.
Leeks are similar in appearance to a green onion. Make sure you clean them carefully, as dirt can accumulate in the layers.
Onions come in a wide variety of colors and flavors. White, green, yellow and red onions all feature different flavors ranging from mild to pungent and from sweet to spicy.
Health Benefits of Leeks
Like onions, leeks have a variety of vitamins and nutrients that are essential to good health.
Leeks are a great source of vitamin K, which is essential for blood clotting and good bone health. They are also a good source of manganese, copper, vitamin B6, iron, folate and vitamin C.
Leeks also contain the lesser-known flavonoid kaempferol, which protects blood vessels.
While there hasn’t been a lot of research done on leeks, they likely share a lot of the health benefits of other allium vegetables such as onion and garlic.
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced small
- 1 leek, chopped (or use 1 onion)
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Toss the sweet potatoes in the olive oil, rosemary and thyme.
- Spread on a lined baking tray and sprinkle some salt on top. Bake for 30 minutes in the oven.
- Carefully take out from the oven and turn the sweet potatoes over. Spread the chopped leeks on the baking tray as well.
- Bake in oven for another 20 minutes.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 21 g
- Carbohydrates: 29 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 2 g