- 25 oz brisket, deboned weight (720 g)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 9 oz mushrooms, sliced (255g)
- 2 large beetroot, peeled and diced 5mm
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced 5mm
- 2 cups (480 ml) beef stock
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
- Parsley to garnish
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cut lengthways into wedges
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) olive oil, additional to drizzle over sweet potatoes
- Trim any unnecessary excess fat from the brisket. Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a large pan and brown the brisket on all sides until golden and caramelized. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat the second tablespoon olive oil and add the onions, garlic, mushrooms, beetroot and carrots and cook over high heat until caramelized. Remove from the heat and place into a slow cooker, along with the seared brisket. Pour in the beef stock. Cover and cook for 5 hours, turning the brisket every now and then.
- Carefully remove the brisket with large tongs and place into a large bowl. Shred into smaller pieces using two forks. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker and cook for an additional hour. If there is too much liquid, remove the lid and allow to simmer very gently as the sauce reduces and thickens.
- While the brisket is cooking, preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C. Spread the sweet potato wedges on a roasting tray and drizzle the olive oil over. Season with salt and place in the oven for 20-30 minutes, or until softened.
- To serve, add a teaspoon lemon juice to the brisket mixture and season with salt, to taste. Serve over roasted sweet potato wedges and garnish with parsley.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 468
- Sugar: 8 g
- Fat: 30 g
- Carbohydrates: 25 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 23 g