Tasty pork shanks that have been slow-cooked to perfection, then crisped will leave you wanting more.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a large pan and brown the shanks. Remove and set aside.
- Add the second tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan, then add the onions and garlic, cooking over moderately high heat until the onions have caramelized. Deglaze the pan with the lemon juice, scraping off any pieces that have stuck.
- Place the shanks and onion mixture into a large slow cooker. Pour in the hot chicken broth and add in the bay leaves.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 4.5 hours.
- Remove the shanks from the heat and place onto a roasting tray. Preheat the oven to maximum.
Once the oven is heated, place the tray on the bottom rack and cook until the skin crisps and puffs up. Remove and allow to rest before serving.
- In the meantime, make a gravy. Tip all the cooking juices and onions from the slow cooker into a large pan on the stove. Remove the bay leaves. Use a hand blender to blitz well. Reduce over moderate heat until thickened, then whisk in the ghee.
- Serve the shanks with the gravy and your favorite greens.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 710
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 60 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 26 g