A dish for two that is as pretty to look at as it is delicious to eat.
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) avocado oil, to cook with
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 slices of bacon, diced
- 10 white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb (225 g) ground beef
- 2 large zucchinis
- Salt, to taste
For the beet and carrot sauce –
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Heat avocado oil in a large pan and sauté the onion until softened. Add in the diced bacon and mushrooms and cook until the bacon and mushrooms have caramelized and there is no excess moisture.
- Then add the ground beef and sauté for 5 minutes to brown the beef slightly. Season with salt.
- In the meantime, slice the zucchini lengthways as thinly as possible. This is best done using a vegetable peeler because you need them to be thin enough to roll easily while still raw. You should have at least 24 slices.
- Make the beet and carrot sauce by sautéing the carrots and beets in the avocado oil. Add in the vinegar and beef broth and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Grease a small roasting dish and tip in all the Beet and Carrot Sauce.
- Lay a zucchini slice out in front of you on a chopping board and spoon a small amount of beef on the end closest to you. Carefully roll the slice up and place into the roasting dish, nestled in the sauce. Continue to do so until all the slices are filled and rolled. Drizzle over a little olive oil and place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Season with salt, if needed.
A dish for two that is as pretty to look at as it is delicious to eat! Use the kind of roasting dish you would use if you were making a lasagne-for-two, but if you don’t have one, this will work well if you fill ramekins with the rolled zucchinis – or simply double up the recipe and use a larger dish. Enjoy!
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 705
- Sugar: 13 g
- Fat: 58 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 26 g