AIP Zucchini Fritters Recipe
Those who say you can never have too much of a good thing have never had a bumper crop of zucchini. Trust me, you can only eat zucchini noodles and zucchini bread so many times.
Thankfully, these creative AIP zucchini fritters give you another way to transform this delightful summer squash. Before you get started, I’ve got some handy tips to help you get the best results possible.
Working with Zucchini
Many a zucchini dish has been compromised due to excess moisture. Don’t become another statistic! It’s vitally important to get your grated zucchini bits as dry as possible before cooking them up.
There are a couple of ways you can do this. If you have a really fine sieve, you can mash the zucchini up against it with a spoon or ladle.
You can also use muslin and squeeze out the liquid. It’s probably going to take a couple of rounds. Don’t get lazy here – getting out the last drops will pay off in the end.
Once they’re assembled, it’s going to be in your best interest to handle the fritters as little as possible. Let them fry for a good couple of minutes and then gently turn them over just once. They’ll finish in the oven.
These zucchini fritters do not contain eggs (or a similar binding agent), so sometimes they want to fall apart on you. Plan on using cutlery to chow down on these fritters.
They’re particularly delicious right out of the oven, with some fresh avocado.
These can be crumbly, so best eaten with a fork, but they are still so good!
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Grate or blitz the zucchini, then squeeze out as much moisture as you can. When you think you have squeezed out as much as you can, squeeze some more! You should be left with a dry pulp.
- Combine the zucchini pulp with the diced green onions, onion powder, garlic powder, dried herbs, and coconut flour. Season with salt and form into 12 balls of approximately 1oz (30g) each. Flatten each ball slightly into fritters.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the fritters in batches, turning only once the underside is golden and crispy.
- Place the fritters on a greased baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with an avocado salsa.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 72
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 3 g