Instant Pot Artichokes with Lemon Tarragon Dipping Sauce Recipe [AIP, Paleo]
Kat Woods is a Le Cordon Bleu Culinary Institute graduate, indie cartoonist, holistic health advocate, and author at Hope Heal Cook. She spent the last two decades navigating multiple diagnoses including Lyme Disease.
This instant pot artichokes recipe is included in The AIP Instant Pot Cookbook, which includes 140+ AIP Instant Pot recipes by 37 different AIP bloggers. You can find 2 AIP recipes by me (Louise) in the book as well!
In case you’re not familiar with AIP, it’s the Paleo autoimmune protocol, which helps many people with autoimmune conditions resolve their health problems.
This recipe by Kat (like all the recipes from the Paleo AIP Instant Pot Cookbook) is made in the Instant Pot, which is pictured below.
An Instant Pot is an intelligent multi-cooker. It is capable of completely replacing your pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker/porridge maker, sauté/browning pan, steamer, yogurt maker, and stockpot warmer. If you’re busy and always on-the-go, then this simple pot can save you loads of time in preparing your meals. With all its functions, you can whip up lunch or dinner in no time at all.
If you’re used to cooking artichokes, then you’d know that it can take up to 45 minutes for the artichoke to get tender in a steamer. But by using the Instant Pot, you can reduce your artichoke cooking time by more than half. That way you can spend more time enjoy these Instant Pot artichokes rather than waiting for your food to cook.
Artichokes are a West Coast favorite that really come alive when paired with this rich, citrus dipping sauce.
- Trim the stems of the artichokes so that they are one inch in length. Cut off one inch of the “petals” from the opposite end of the artichokes. Discard the stems and petal tips.
- Zest the lemons and set aside. Cut four thin slices (about 1/4-inch) from the middle of one zested lemon, removing any seeds.
- Place the lemon slices in the Instant Pot and top each lemon slice with a trimmed artichoke, stem-side up. Pour in the broth around the artichokes.
- Close and lock the lid. Press MANUAL for high pressure. Set cooking time to 20 minutes. Once time is up, quick release the pressure.
- While the artichokes are cooking, make the dipping sauce. Finely chop fresh tarragon leaves. Trim both ends of one stalk of celery and chop into small pieces.
- Peel the remaining lemon and cut the white pith away with a paring knife. Coarsely chop the fruit. Throw away the seeds.
- Place the lemon zest, lemon fruit, tarragon, chopped celery, olive oil, and salt in a blender or food processor and blend until thick and creamy.
- Serve the artichokes with the dipping sauce. Feel free to drink the broth remaining in the Instant Pot.