Instant Pot Coconut Yogurt Recipe [Paleo, Keto, AIP]
For those of us who stay dairy-free, coconut yogurt is amazing. It’s creamy, healthy, and perfect for breakfast no matter what diet you’re on!
And it’s really easy to make coconut yogurt using the Instant Pot pressure cooker. (Note – not all Instant Pots have this function, so check yours has a Yogurt button before continuing!)
Instant Pot Coconut Yogurt Recipe
Start with cans of coconut milk. Refrigerate them so that the coconut cream solidifies on the top of the can.
Scoop out the coconut cream and place into the Instant Pot’s inner metal pot.
Close the Instant Pot lid and ensure the vent is turned to closed. Press the Yogurt button (this is one of the cool functions of the Instant Pot that other pressure cookers don’t possess).
Then press adjust until it shows “boil” in red letters on the screen. It takes approx. 30 minutes for the coconut cream to heat up to 180 F, which is the target temperature for this phase.
When the heating is done, the Instant Pot will beep and will display “Yogt” in red on the display.
Unplug the Instant Pot. Carefully remove the lid and then remove the inner metal pot carefully from the instant pot (it’ll be hot) and place somewhere to cool. If you’re in a hurry you can place it into some cold water or ice bath to cool faster. Just leaving it at room temperature will take around 30 minutes to cool.
IMPORTANT: Cool the coconut milk down to 100-115 F (38-46 C) but no lower and no hotter. Use a meat or candy thermometer to ensure you get the right temperature. This is the temperature needed for the probiotics to work on creating yogurt!
Add 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup or honey into the inner metal pot and stir in. Then open the 4 capsules of probiotics and sprinkle in. Whisk well to mix everything together.
Place the inner metal pot back into the Instant Pot, then close the lid, ensure the vent is closed, press the Yogurt button, and use the (+) button to set the time to 8 hours.
After 8 hours, your yogurt will be ready.
Pour yogurt into a blender and sprinkle in the 2 tablespoons of gelatin powder while the blender is going. Pour into jars, seal well and store in the refrigerator to set.
Want to know how to use coconut yogurt in various Paleo recipes? Check out these great recipes to use them in – most of the recipes are Paleo, Keto, and AIP-friendly!
Paleo Coconut Yogurt Recipes
Pinterest Image for Instant Pot Coconut Yogurt Recipe [Paleo, Keto, AIP]
- Use a spoon to remove the solid cream on top of the cans of coconut milk. Place this into the instant pot bowl.
- Close the lid, make sure the vent is closed, press the yogurt button, press adjust until it shows BOIL.
- When the instant pot is done, it’ll beep. Remove the bowl from the instant pot and let cool. Use a candy or meat thermometer to see when the mixture reaches around 100 F (38 C). This temperature ensures the cultures can grow.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of maple syrup or honey into the inner metal pot and stir in. Then open up the capsules of probiotics and slowly whisk them into the coconut cream.
- Place the bowl back into the instant pot, close the lid, press Yogurt and press (+) to set the time to 8 hours.
- Add the yogurt to a blender and slowly add the gelatin while blending. This will help thicken the yogurt. Add additional flavorings (e.g., honey, stevia, vanilla extract) if you want.
- Refrigerate for a few hours to cool and thicken.