- 1 Tablespoon of olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 Tablespoon of dried oregano (3 g)
- 1 Tablespoon of lime juice (15 ml)
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric (2 g)
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 2.3 lb pork shoulder, boned and rolled (1kg)
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 cups (480 ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 orange juice (60 ml)
- Additional salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 430 F (220 C).
- Mix together the olive oil, dried oregano, lime juice, turmeric powder, and salt. Rub the mixture over the pork shoulder.
- In a large roasting pan, place the onions and garlic at the bottom of the pan. Then lay the pork shoulder on top.
- Mix the orange juice and chicken stock together and pour into the bottom of the roasting pan.
- Place the pan in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 320 F (160 C). (Alternatively, you can put the pork and other ingredients into a slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.)
- In the oven, cook on the low temperature for around 5 hours. Check every hour to make sure your oven is still going. Turn the pork over each time with tongs. Using a large spoon, ladle some of the liquid from the bottom of the pan over the pork.
- When the pork is done, remove any butcher’s twine.
- Let rest for a bit and then shred and season with additional salt to taste. Enjoy immediately or save in the fridge/freezer for later in the week.
All nutritional data are estimated and based on per serving amounts.
- Calories: 506
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fat: 32 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 40 g